Category Archives: Mobile
Can’t watch the stream? It’s Ok. We’ll be liveblogging Ubisoft’s E3 2013 press conference from beginning to end. Updates start from 3pm PST/23:00 GMT. The page will have to be refreshed every 3-4 minutes to ensure you get the latest minute by minute coverage of what promises to be the most exciting E3 in years. If you do not update the page, it will not be very exciting for you. Join us after the jump.
Has it been that long since we last heard from the Bats? I suppose it has been a over full year already, with a faint recollection of a Game of the Year list that needed assembling. Yes, it was 2011. Okay, but now there’s another one, and nope they have not abandoned the Arkham branding yet, nor have they included Adam West.
The new batman game will be called Batman: Arkham Origins, and will launch on October 25 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, WiiU, and PC. It’s a prequel to the first two games, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.
Development this go around isn’t being handled by Rocksteady Studios, who handled the previous two games, but instead by Warner Bros. Montreal, and the same writers will not be returning for this foray either.
The game’s plot sees eight assassins coming to Gotham to raise hell on Christmas Eve. Game Informer released a cover (pictured above) shot that shows one of the new villains, Deathstroke. Also, in a trailer for the issue’s upcoming content, the developers hint at what’s in store this time around, with nods at a Gotham that behaves more like a ‘functional city.’
For now, this is all we have to go on, but to diverge a bit, this probably suggest Rocksteady are off making something else, perhaps a Batman on the new shiny, powerful gaming boxes of the future. More details soon.
Disney has laid off LucasArts staff and canceled both projects that were currently in development, Star Wars 1313 and Star Wars: First Assault.
Kotaku reports that the LucasArts employees were informed yesterday morning of the shutdown. The some hundred-and-fifty people that made up the studio are now without jobs. Disney plans to continue using the LucasArts name to license games, but the studio is no more, and internal development is no longer apart of the company’s strategy.
Speaking to sources, Kotaku reports that despite Disney’s claims to options of reaching out to developers and publishers to license these current projects, the probability of this happening is “slim to non,” meaning Star Wars 1313 and First Assault are “effectively dead forever.” The source has said that Disney has pursued the option for the games will little to no success. Today another Kotaku source reaffirmed just how dead: development on 1313 had been put on hold last fall.
“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,” LucasArts parent company LucasFilm said in a statement. “As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”
This news follows the company’s acquisition by Disney last fall, a freeze put on all hiring and product announcements, and arising rumors in February that the studio might be close to shuttering.
An iconic development studio of more than 30 years is gone. Addicted-Gamers wishes all those affected our best wishes.
The Walking Dead developer Telltale Game’s newest episodic series will be The Wolf Among Us, a game based on DC Comic’s popular Fables franchise.
The Wolf Among Us will act as a prequel to the Fables comic book series, which sees fairytale characters forced to abandon their own world because of war, and into ours to live out lives that draw parallels from their respective tales but with a darker, grittier tone.
The series will follow detective Bigby Wolf (or Big Bad Wolf). Exiled to New York City, the game will follow him as he tries to protect characters like the Three Little Pigs and Mr. Toad from being discovered. Because of the game’s nature – similar to that of the Walking Dead – your choices will play a large role in the outcome of the story and the fate of characters.
These are the first solid details that have been revealed for a game announced in 2011. Following their largest success to date, which kind of put them on the map, there’s a fair amount of pressure to deliver (think, the year after a breakout MVP season, or something like that) and this was a good move on Telltale’s part, staying within material that’s character-driven. “Through an evolution of our approach to choice and consequence, we can further explore the complexity of each and every iconic character in a universe rich with untold history from the darkest sides of the storybooks,” Telltale CEO Dan Connors told IGN.”
The downloadable series will launch this summer for Mac, PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 – and don’t be surprised if we see some mobile versions announced as well.
Double Fine have titled their long since been announced and Kickstarted adventure game. Broken Age is the name – we assume it’s what you call an age after it’s no longer functional – and it has been further cemented by a website, which also gives a short premise of the game:
Broken Age is a point-and-click adventure telling the stories of a young boy and girl leading parallel lives. The girl has been chosen by her village to be sacrificed to a terrible monster–but she decides to fight back. Meanwhile, a boy on a spaceship is living a solitary life under the care of a motherly computer, but he wants to break free to lead adventures and do good in the world. Adventures ensue.
You can pre-order Broken Age on its official website for $15, which will also grant access to a beta build when it becomes available.
The Penny Arcade Expo is in full swing in Boston, Massachusetts this weekend and one of the more surprising announcements to come out of the show so far is an all new title from Blizzard.
HearthStone: Heroes of Warcraft is a Free to Play Animated Online Collectible Card Game (CCG) that is going to be available this year for the PC, MAC, and iOS devices. The game is simultaneously, an homage to games like Magic: The Gathering and other trading card games that the team at Blizzard grew up playing, as well as an attempt at trying their hand at the decidedly more casual market with a focus on more accessible gameplay. Matches are supposed to be ten minute affairs, meant to be played in short bursts, an easy hop-in hop-out experience. This is quite a bit different compared to the three main titles in the Blizzard Entertainment stable; Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, and World of Warcraft are inherently time devouring experiences. This game promises the same level of polish and “epic gameplay” in a smaller quicker to pick up package.
Be sure to check out the trailer and let us know what you think of this different take on the Warcraft universe.
We’re supporters of Sony’s subscription-based service on PlayStation 3, and when we heard that it would be coming to Vita a while back, we knew it only meant positive things for the (struggling-to-sell) handheld system going forward. Even now, it’s not exactly clear whether the advantageous deals on PS3 will translate over to the same degree, but at least we know definitively, thanks to an announcement at Tokyo Game Show, that PlayStation Plus will be launching on the Vita in November.
The service will work similarly to how it does on PS3, and one subscription will carry over to both systems. Subscribers can expect free and discounted games, cloud saving, automatic updates and automatic Trophy syncing, at a cost of $18/€15 for three months or $50/€50 for a year.
With Apple’s new iPhone 5 finally being unveiled in San Francisco yesterday by Apple CEO Tim Cook, we at AG ask the question “What does this mean for gamers?” Well I have been an iOS boy for a long time now, having purchased my iPhone 4 on day of release back in June 2010 after a disasterous experience with the Blackberry Storm. I finally believed I had found my soulmate in Apple’s 4th generation phone after playing Angry Birds and Peggle for the first time on the beautiful retina display. However, after two years of wading through countless free to play games and Farmville rip off’s on the app store, I feel that maybe there’s more to life than paying 69 pence a time to buy my digital farmer new hats. Therefore I have started to look towards the Android market for new offerings. What I found was the Samsung Galaxy S3, the flagship phone for the Korean manufacturer and the iPhone’s evil nemesis. As Apple flex their muscles with the official launch of iPhone 5 I can feel myself more and more tempted to convert to the underdog.
The absolutely wonderful 2011-hit, Bastion, will be coming to iPad, developer Supergiant Games revealed today.
Currently it’s only available in New Zealand – because of course New Zealand exist in the future – but tomorrow on August 30 you’ll be able to download it off the App Store for $4.99, which I believe is a reasonable price for a whole lot of game. (Most of Square Enix’s games hover around a ridiculous $20. I’m just saying.)
Supergiant claims that due to technical issues, Bastion will only be playable on the iPad – and not the original iPad, only the iPad 2 and the newer one. The game will have touch controls, Game Center achievements, and will be compatible with retina display. And, perhaps best of all, there will be no microtransactions. I repeat, the game will not interrupt you mid-combo to ask you to buy more crystals or mana or whatever. The iPad needs more games that don’t do that.
Have a look at the reveal trailer below: